New England Model Horse Collectors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
New England Model Horse Collectors

An online forum for New England model horse collectors.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

OK New Englanders 4WD or AWD

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
hoppydog

hoppydog

OK New Englanders 4WD or AWD Empty
PostSubject: OK New Englanders 4WD or AWD   OK New Englanders 4WD or AWD EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 1:53 pm

I'm starting to do some research on new cars/trucks/SUV's.
I drive 10 miles a day round trip to and from work. So what do you think would a 4WD be better to drive in winter for only when I need it(like getting into our driveway with a foot of snow from the plow trucks) or should I get an AWD.
I drive on paved state or town maintained roads and they're plowed well in the winter. It's just the end of my driveway that I hate.

So pro and cons of both plus which would be better to haul my horses in?
Right now I'm leaning to a Honda Rav 4 but am open to other options.
Back to top Go down
http://home.comcast.net/~backtobasicsfarm/site/?/home/
horsienut

horsienut

PostSubject: Re: OK New Englanders 4WD or AWD   OK New Englanders 4WD or AWD EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 12:12 pm

Linda, my hubby had a Subaru AWD and it was great in the snow - but it was a hatchback not suitable for towing anything. The Subarus are awesome winter vehicles, most have AWD and with a 4 cylinder you'll still get good mileage (25 MPG +). I have a Toyota Rav4 V6 with the tow package, it is 4WD but it is "on-demand" - you can lock it in 4WD but otherwise it only comes on to assist when it senses the wheels are slipping. I was originally looking at the Highlander but it was full time 4WD and with the same size engine the gas mileage was worse than the Rav 4. If you are not towing anything you could get the 4 cylinder & save a bit on gas. The Rav 4 has been awesome, I have a 80 mile roundtrip commute and I have never had a problem with it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/horsienut
hoppydog

hoppydog

PostSubject: Re: OK New Englanders 4WD or AWD   OK New Englanders 4WD or AWD EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks Linda, I really just need a vehicle to get me into and out of my driveway. The main roads are normally fine but with the state trucks plowing there is usually about 1 fot of piles up ice and snow at the end of the driveway and then tere is the driveway itself, our plow guy does not get a chance to plow us till after 6 at night.
So maybe I'll lean toward the 4 WD. Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://home.comcast.net/~backtobasicsfarm/site/?/home/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OK New Englanders 4WD or AWD   OK New Englanders 4WD or AWD Empty

Back to top Go down

OK New Englanders 4WD or AWD
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
New England Model Horse Collectors :: Off Topic :: General Off Topic-
Jump to: